This is the first place where I figured out I’m not a noob traveller anymore. It was love at first sight. I haven’t felt confused, lost, upset or uncomfortable not even once (well except for that time in the castle).
Things about Ljubljana:
1. It’s easy and super chill.
2. It has a really nice young vibe.
3. You can go everywhere on foot.
4. Food is good.
5. Bread is fantastic.
6. The girls are pretty.
7. Slovenia has 2 million people. Just 2. 🙂
8. Accommodation is expensive during summer and does not live up to any expectation.
9. Everything else is doable price wise.
10. There are tourists but not too many. Even in the middle of high season you can still enjoy the city and its charm.
11. People are friendly. Not crazy overbearing but just the right amount of friendly.
12. Weed is not the thing. It’s the norm. I don’t smoke but one must love this incense flavour.
13. My favourite thing here was to get out and go everywhere.
14. I love every single inch of Ljubljana. It’s a non-pretentious emerald gem.
Things I did here, thoughts I had and how I went on with my life:
1. I went to a rock concert alone in the Metelkova squat neighbourhood, ex Yugoslavia barracks. A sort of Danish Christiania. It was great.
2. I had people waiting for me in my hostel room which was supposed to be a single room. Nobody was sleeping in my bed.
3. I blissfully missed the wooden river boat cruise twice, for a matter of seconds.
4. I had the best vegan cake at Barbarella Bistro.
5. I thought often that my life rocks.
6. I learned that is fine for people and things to change. I can’t just show up somewhere once a year and expect everything to be how I left it.
7. I feel so blessed, so I naturally keep hoping nothing bad will happen to me. I want to die from natural death with a smile on my face, knowing that the world is a beautiful place despite its reputation.
8. Being alone and doing things alone is a marvellous gift. I’m usually so focused on the others that I never get a chance to hang out with myself for real. The natural instinct is to bond and socialize and I do feel weird when days go by without either but this is my journey and alone time takes it to a whole different level.
9. I had a drink at a bar alone. Not nearly as weird as you might think.
10. I had the most alternative art experience. I visited two interactive museums and an open air one.
11. Went to an ex porn cinema alone. I watched He won’t get far on foot and loved it.
12. Won 6 euros at the casino.
13. I had the world’s most average strudel and two people just had to ask for my honest opinion.
14. It must be that Ljubljana loves me, too.
If you haven’t been, just go! 😉